Members of the My Little Poppies Gameschool Community have been asking me about holiday gameschooling and so today I am going to share oodles of holiday-themed games with you!
I will be adding to this page over time so be sure to check back often! (Psst! If I missed your favorite, leave a comment so I can check it out!)
Without further ado, here are our best tips for playing your way through all the holidays!
Holiday Gameschooling: How to Play Your Way Through ALL of the Holidays!
Let’s face it- When our children are super-excited for a certain holiday, not a ton of learning is happening, at least not in the traditional sense. Our new Holiday Gameschooling series will help you through those holiday hiccups!
But first… check this out!
Before we get to the holiday fun, a word about everyday play. I have created a landing page filled with oodles of gameschooling resources by academic subject:
You can read the our top gameschooling posts here:
- Gameschooling by Subject: The Best Games for Your Homeschool
- Gameschooling: 100 Educational Games for Homeschooling
And now back to the holiday fun!
Want to see the games we are playing (and the books we are reading) each day?
New Years Gameschooling:
To me, there is no better way to ring in the New Year than to sit in front of the fire with delicious take-out and play games with my family. Some years, we don’t stay up until the ball drops but we have always made memories!
If are looking for games to play this New Year’s, check this out:
Valentine’s Day Gameschooling:
I’ll be honest- Valentine’s Day is not my favorite holiday. I do not like the commercialism of it all.
That said, it is a great excuse to grab your favorite take-out and play a game in front of the fire!
Check out these holiday gameschooling resources for those looking for Valentine’s Day games:
4th of July Gameschooling:
I love summer! I wish it could be the 4th of July every day!
Alas, it only comes but once a year. Today, I am sharing the best 4th of July games for your holiday gameschooling entertainment:
Talk Like a Pirate Day:
For those unaware, September 19th is a favorite day for the swashbucklers out there: International Talk Like A Pirate Day!
Children adore pirates, and with good reason. When they pretend to be pirates, they get to dress up, speak differently, fight enemies, find treasure, and go on adventures.
Did you know that you can put an educational spin on Talk Like a Pirate Day? Read more here:
If your kids are anything like mine, they get super pumped as soon as October rolls into town. Because, in their world, October means one thing and one thing only: HALLOWEEN.
If your children are over-the-moon excited for Halloween, you’re going to love the resources in this post:
Growing up, Thanksgiving was one of my favorite holidays and it wasn’t my favorite because of the food or the pie (although the food and pie were delish!), it was because of a game.
Every Thanksgiving, I would play my favorite game, Scrabble, with my aunt. My aunt loved Scrabble as much – if not more- than I did. We created such wonderful memories around that table. Those are memories that I cherish today, and the time spent with family around that Scrabble board still influences my family life and homeschool today.
If you adore Thanksgiving as much as we do over here, you’re going to love the resources in this post! From games that incorporate history, to those that celebrate togetherness and food, to those that are just plain fun party games!
Check out our family’s favorite Thanksgiving games here:
Years ago, before I even realized we were gameschoolers, I used board games to survive a long and painful winter. (That old post is dreadfully outdated and unbelievably boring, but I’m sharing it here today because it was the beginning of a beautiful winter tradition.)
Little did I know I had started our first-ever gameschool challenge.
That one painful winter changed the course of our homeschool forever.
Now, we cannot imagine a winter without a gameschool challenge. In fact, we can’t picture a wintery afternoon without a board game by the fire!
If you are looking for cozy winter games, look no further:
Today, I am sharing some of the best Christmas-themed games for your homeschool holiday season. From Christmas games, to wintry-themed fun, to party games and conversation starters for gatherings, I’ve got you covered!
If your children are over-the-moon excited for Christmas, you’re going to love the resources in this post:
Not a holiday, but I figured there are a few Potterheads reading…
Every day is Harry Potter Day over here:
Are you looking for holiday gifts?
Check out some of our favorites here:
- 100 Educational Stocking Stuffers Your Kids Will Love!
- 50+ Educational Stocking Stuffers Your Kids Will Love
- Gift Guides 2018 | My Little Poppies
- Sensory Processing Disorder Gift Guide
- 10 of the Best STEM Gifts
- 50+ Gifts for the Book Lover in Your Life
- 10 of the Best Nature Gifts for Kids
- How to Select the Best Educational Gifts for Your Children
- 10+ Math Gifts Your Kids Will Love!
- Top 10 Language Arts Gifts
- 10 of the Best History and Geography Gifts
- The Best Gifts to Inspire Art, Creativity, Play, and Imagination
- Here are 10 Gift-Worthy Books Your Kids Will Love
Do you love games and gameschooling?
Be sure to check out these related posts:
- Gameschooling 101: How to Homeschool with Fantastic Games
- 100+ Fantastic Gameschooling Resources for Amazing Play
- Growing List of My Little Poppies Game Reviews
- Ultimate Gamelist: A Free Library of Gameschool Resources
- Gameschool Challenge: Add More Play To Your Day!
- Ultimate Guide to Family Games
- 100 Picture Books and Games for Play-Based Learning
- 10 Tips for a Successful Family Game Night
- Top Educational One-Player Games
- 10+ Amazing Math Games for Your Homeschool
- 10+ Science Games for Your Homeschool
Do you want to see our gameschool in action?
Be sure to follow My Little Poppies because we share snapshots of gameschooling moments… and heaps of incredible books!
You are also invited to join the My Little Poppies Gameschool Community, a private Facebook Group for parents who wish to add more play to their family and/or homeschool routine.
Now, it’s your turn. Tell me: Do you enjoy holiday gameschooling, too?What is your family’s favorite game right now? Share here!
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, Scary Mommy, GeekMom, and many others. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- Coffee and Books with Beautiful Feet Books: A Memorable Start to the Day! - May 14, 2019
- Homeschooling When Dad Works A Lot - April 22, 2019
- ‘What’s the Big Deal About First Ladies’ will Delight Your History Lover - April 15, 2019