1. Exercise. I am my best self when I am able to exercise daily. Exercise makes me happy and provides me with opportunity to accomplish something while also being able to either listen to music (see #4) or get lost in thought (and I have lots of thoughts!). My exercise typically comes in three forms, all of which I am obsessed with: CrossFit, yoga, and running.
2. Quiet time. I have always required quiet time to recharge. I spent countless hours as a child reading in the woods, up in a tree, on a swingset, or holed up in the quiet of my room. My life now, as a mom of three young children, is much louder but I still squeeze in quiet time to recharge. If anything, I need it more now. Every day, my little poppies and I enjoy an hour of quiet time in our own space. You can nap, you can read, you can create, you can invent, you can sing “Let it Goooooo!” on repeat but you have to do it in your room. If I don’t get that hour, my patience plummets.
3. Reading. This often happens during my quiet time, but I need to read daily or I get crabby. Just ask Schizz.
4. Music. The only instrument that I’ve ever played (much to my chagrin!) was the recorder. I only took one year of Irish Step dancing circa second grade. I do not claim to be a talented singer or dancer but come 4 o’clock-ish, my little poppies and I rock out and dance in the kitchen.
5. Nature. One of my all time favorite books is Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. When I was a little girl, our property bordered conservation land. I spent my childhood running around in the woods, making forts, and reading books hidden away in some filthy little nook. As an adult, I cannot fathom how people can spend an entire day indoors. I get antsy after just a few hours cooped up inside the house. My children are notably happier when they have been outside running free. As I’ve said before, I tend to judge the success of our days by smiles and the amount of sediment in the bathtub at the day’s end.
|Dancin’ in the kitchen!|
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, Scary Mommy, GeekMom, and many others. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- Coffee and Books with Beautiful Feet Books: A Memorable Start to the Day! - May 14, 2019
- Homeschooling When Dad Works A Lot - April 22, 2019
- ‘What’s the Big Deal About First Ladies’ will Delight Your History Lover - April 15, 2019