This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure statement for more information.
Poolside professional development [Episode 42]
Are you ready to pack your pool bags full of books that will keep you reading all summer long?
The sisters are back with their book recommendations for the summer!
Cait and Kara share their “Poolside Professional Development” picks- including homeschooling and parenting books- plus their choices for fiction and non-fiction.
If you’d like to try listening to books via Audible this summer, you can get your first book free by clicking here!
This week’s episode is sponsored by Big Life Journal. Big Life Journal is a growth mindset journal for kids ages 7-11. It helps build character and teaches children to be persistent and resilient, believe in themselves, and be open to new ideas and experiences. With this journal, kids learn that they can achieve anything they want out of life!
This is a guided journal, it has stories about real people, poems, colorful pictures, quotes and engaging writing prompts. It is done together with a Journal Buddy, someone they would share this journal with and have meaningful conversations about life. Your kids will love this special time with their Journal Buddy!
Big Life Journal is broken down into weeks and covers 13 topics including: Dream Big, Be Persistent, Love Learning, Be Grateful, Make a Difference in the World, and many others. It has been a huge success among thousands of parents around the world with over 500 five star reviews!
And… Big Life Journal just released a new resource, The Growth Mindset Activity Kit. With this kit, kids will practice creativity, problem-solving, resilience, learning from mistakes, trying new things, goal-setting, overcoming challenges, managing emotions, mindfulness, and gratitude through 25 carefully-selected activities (59 pages in total). These activities are designed to help kids develop a growth mindset and key life skills.
LISTEN TO Get to Know your sisters here:
Links from this episode
- A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L’Engle
- All the Beautiful Lies by Peter Swanson
- Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
- A Life that Says Welcome by Karen Ehman
- Audible (get a free book!)
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
- Educated by Tara Westover
- Free at Last by Daniel Greenberg
- Hallelujah Anyway by Anne Lamott
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- How Children Learn by John Holt
- Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou
- Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play
by Mitchell Resnick
- Magical Journey by Katrina Kenison
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- Only Love Today by Rachel Macy Stafford
- Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis by Robert Putnam
- Rainbow in the Cloud by Maya Angelou
- Rethinking School by Susan Wise Bauer
- Still Life with Breadcrumbs by Anna Quindlen
- Teaching From Rest by Sarah Mackenzie
- The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera
- The Bassoon King by Rainn Wilson
- The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharpe
- The Danish Way of Parenting by Jessica Joelle Alexander
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
- The Joyful Homeschooler by Mary Hood
- The Little Book of Lykke by Meik Wiking
- The One World School House by Salman Khan
- The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
- The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewelyn
- There’s No Such Thing as Bad Weather by Linda McGuirk
- The Self-Driven Child by William Stixrud
- The Wisdom of Sundays by Oprah Winfrey
- This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
- Trees in the Forest: Growing Readers and Writers Through Deep Comprehension by Rita Sovasco
- You, Your Child and School by Ken Robinson
FOLLOW THE HOMESCHOOL SISTERS
You can hang out with Cait and Kara on Instagram.
PSST…DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN SUPPORT THE HOMESCHOOL SISTERS PODCAST WITHOUT SPENDING ANY EXTRA?
Many listeners have asked how they can support The Homeschool Sisters Podcast. The answer is a simple one. Do you shop online? Click our link first. You won’t pay any extra, but a small percentage goes to The Homeschool Sisters Podcast to help offset our expenses. Every little bit counts, and we are so grateful for your support!