Recently, I discovered a fantastically fun way to practice those mental math skills. It’s called Math Dice Chase and is created by ThinkFun.
Growing up, I always did well in math but I never felt confident in the subject. Because of this, I am determined to keep math fun over here.
I don’t know about you guys, but I always hated speed drills. And math worksheets. And flashcards. But I try to avoid those things in our homeschool. Instead, I try to incorporate play and games and books and hands-on learning opportunities.
So, let’s chat about Math Dice Chase.
Learn Multiplication with Math Dice Chase
*Disclosure: I received ThinkFun’s Math Dice Chase at no cost in exchange for a review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only share products that I would use with my own family and that I believe other families would enjoy. We adore ThinkFun games!
This post is part of my Growing List of My Little Poppies Game Reviews. Slowly but surely, I am making my way through our game closet and sharing our thoughts. Stay tuned for more posts in this series!
Do you want to add more awesome math resources to your homeschool day?
Practice Multiplication and Have Fun with Math Dice Chase
Do you remember the game Wonder Ball from when you were a kid?
The Wonder Ball… Goes round and round… To catch it quickly you are bound… If you’re the one… To hold it last…This game for you, has surely passed. And you are … O… U… T… Out!
ThinkFun’s Math Dice Chase is kind of like Wonder Ball or Hot Potato. And my kids love it!
ThinkFun’s Math Dice Chase is designed for ages 8 and up and is ideal for 4-6 players. The game is available for just $6.99.
- 2 blue 12-sided dice
- 2 purple 12-sided dice
- Travel bag
- Instruction booklet
- Math skills (double-digit addition)
The object of the game:
Math Dice Chase is like multiplication Hot Potato. Roll the dice, figure out your answer, call it out, and pass the dice to the next player before you end up with two pairs of dice in front of you!
How to Play:
To play, players sit in a circle. One player starts with the two 12-sided purple dice while another player uses the two 12-sided blue dice. When everyone is ready, both players roll their dice, multiply the numbers rolled, and call out their answer. Then, they quickly pass the dice to the player next to them.
The trick is to multiply quickly because if you are caught with both pairs at the same time you are O-U-T!
When we play this in our home, I modify it for my two little ones. The adults and 8-year-old multiply while the little two add and it works out perfectly.
The result? Raucous giggling and a flurry of mathematics–the best kind of learning!
ThinkFun’s Math Dice Chase is the perfect game for:
- Parents who want to keep skills sharp over the summer
What this homeschooling mom loves about ThinkFun Math Dice Chase:
- The game is easy to learn, yet offers a challenge
- My children are practicing mental math skills and they hardly realize it
- I’ve seen an improvement in math skills already
- The game comes in a little pouch, so it is perfect for travel, waiting rooms, restaurants, and beyond
- It is affordable
Do you love games and gameschooling?
Be sure to check out these related posts:
- Gameschooling 101: How to Homeschool with Fantastic Games
- 100+ Fantastic Gameschooling Resources for Amazing Play
- Growing List of My Little Poppies Game Reviews
- Ultimate Gamelist: A Free Library of Gameschool Resources
- Gameschool Challenge: Add More Play To Your Day!
- Ultimate Guide to Family Games
- 100 Picture Books and Games for Play-Based Learning
- 10 Tips for a Successful Family Game Night
- Top Educational One-Player Games
- 10+ Amazing Math Games for Your Homeschool
- 10+ Science Games for Your Homeschool
Do you want to see our gameschool in action?
Be sure to follow My Little Poppies because we share snapshots of gameschooling moments… and heaps of incredible books!
You are also invited to join the My Little Poppies Gameschool Community, a private Facebook Group for parents who wish to add more play to their family and/or homeschool routine.
Do you love SimplyFun games?
We do, too! In fact, we love them so much that I decided to become an official SimplyFun Playologist. If you want to check out more SimplyFun offerings, you can head over to my Playologist page.
Now, it’s your turn. Tell me: What is your family’s favorite math game right now? Share here.
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, Scary Mommy, GeekMom, and many others. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- Mystic Market: A Strategic Economic Game for Potterheads! - August 17, 2019
- Invasion of the Cow Snatchers: A Magnetic Logic Game - August 17, 2019
- Health and Human Anatomy in Your Homeschool - August 14, 2019