My boys used to have this adorable morning routine. They would wake up and play chess together. As I sipped my coffee, they connected over the chess board. It was absolutely adorable and – as a gamer mom- it grew my heart!
(Sidenote: Somehow, this gamer mom never learned to play chess as a child. My boys taught me how to play and I am terrible, but I love to watch them play!)
When they heard that ThinkFun was coming out with a game called Laser Chess, they literally jumped for joy.
Laser Chess: A Strategy Game for Logic Lovers
*Disclosure: I received Laser Chess at no cost in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review and, as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only share resources that I would use with my own family and those that I believe other families will enjoy. Our family adores ThinkFun.
This post is part of the Growing List of My Little Poppies Game Reviews. Slowly but surely, I am making my way through our game closet and sharing our thoughts. Stay tuned for more posts in this series!
Laser Chess by ThinkFun
If your kids love Gravity Maze and Laser Maze and Circuit Maze, they will adore Laser Chess! Since its arrival on our doorstop, Laser Chess has been living on our coffee table. My boys challenge each other to a match throughout the day and they are making so many memories together!
Laser Chess is a 2-player strategy game for ages 8 and up. This game combines many elements of chess with the fun of lasers. Players take turns moving mirrored pieces across the board and each turn ends with a real laser beam! If your laser hits your opponent’s King, you win!
My chess-loving boys would like you to know that this game is not chess. It is “chess-like” in that it involves capturing a King and oodles of strategy, but the similarities end there.
That said, they love the game and play with each other all the time.
(It is really hard to capture the laser fun on camera, but the middle photo above is my best attempt!)
- 26 playing pieces
- Playing board
- Logic and problem-solving
- Spatial skills
The object of the game:
Players take turns moving mirrored playing pieces around the board. Each turn ends with the firing of a laser beam. Hit an opponent’s King and you win!
How to Play:
- The blue/white player moves a mirrored piece and fires a laser in an attempt to eliminate her opponent’s red/gray piece.
- The red/gray player moves a mirrored piece and fires a laser in an attempt to eliminate his opponent’s blue/white piece.
- Players alternate turns. When one player hits her opponent’s King, she wins!
This is one of those games that is much easier to watch it played than to explain in words and so I am including a ThinkFun video herein.
Want to see it in action?
Personally, I love when a game company includes a video because I often struggle with game instructions!
What did the kids think about Laser Chess?
I’ll be honest here- my 8-year-old daughter doesn’t love this one. I think this is because her brothers are ultra-competitive and she is just not (I’ve written about that here), but also because games that involve spatial skills are trickier for her.
My boys, however, are obsessed with this game right now. It lives on our coffee table and the boys will play each other throughout the day.
I just know they are making memories over this game board, and I love watching them play Laser Chess with each other!
If you like Laser Chess…
You may enjoy these related articles:
- Logic Games for Your Homeschool
- No Stress Chess (Game Review)
- Improve Quiet Time with Educational Logic Games
- Lunar Landing: A Zero-Gravity Logic Game!
- BackSpin: Delight Kids with Double-Sided Fun!
Do you love games and gameschooling?
Be sure to check out these related posts:
- 100+ Fantastic Gameschooling Resources for Amazing Play
- Growing List of My Little Poppies Game Reviews
- Ultimate Gamelist: A Free Library of Gameschool Resources
- Gameschool Challenge: Add More Play To Your Day!
- Ultimate Guide to Family Games
- 100 Picture Books and Games for Play-Based Learning
- 10 Tips for a Successful Family Game Night
- Top Educational One-Player Games
- 10+ Amazing Math Games for Your Homeschool
- 10+ Science Games for Your Homeschool
Do you want to see our gameschool in action?
Be sure to follow My Little Poppies because we share snapshots of gameschooling moments… and heaps of incredible books!
You are also invited to join the My Little Poppies Gameschool Community, a private Facebook Group for parents who wish to add more play to their family and/or homeschool routine.
Do you love SimplyFun games?
We do, too! In fact, we love them so much that I decided to become an official SimplyFun Playologist. If you want to check out more SimplyFun offerings, you can head over to my Playologist page.
Now, it’s your turn. Tell me: What is your family’s favorite logic game right now? Share here.
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, Scary Mommy, GeekMom, and many others. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- How to Be A Happier Homeschool Mom with TeacherFit - October 17, 2019
- Mystic Market: A Strategic Economic Game for Potterheads! - August 17, 2019
- Invasion of the Cow Snatchers: A Magnetic Logic Game - August 17, 2019