Today, I am sharing 80+ ideas to keep kids happy and busy while you read aloud!
Do you have a busy kiddo (or four) at home? Do you struggle through your read alouds? Are you peppered with questions? Interrupted incessantly? Well, you aren’t alone. Today I am sharing 80+ of my best tips and tricks to help your read alouds go more smoothly.
Notice I didn’t say perfect. Our read alouds are the most treasured part of our homeschool day but they are far from perfect. I’m still interrupted. There are squabbles. And endless questions. And oodles of wiggling. Still, these ideas help! I aim for perfectly imperfect around here.
How to Keep Kids Busy and Happy While You Read Aloud: 80+ Awesome Ideas to Try!
80+ awesome ideas to keep little hands (and mouths) busy while you read aloud
Here are my best tips for a successful read aloud:
- Pick something you want to read aloud. Excitement can be contagious.
- Give your kids a warning before you begin or, better yet, get them used to a simple read-aloud routine.
- Don’t forget the value of a captive audience.
- Add a snack and/or a beverage. (In our world, most problems are solved with popcorn and hot cocoa. Marshmallows or coco-whip optional!)
- Set the kids up with an activity so that their little hands are busy while you read aloud.
Here are some ideas to keep kids busy while you read aloud:
Don’t forget you can see this entire list and more ideas here:
- The Ultimate List of Ideas to Keep Little Hands Busy | My Little Poppies
Not sure what to read aloud while you keep those kids busy? Check out these AMAZING and free booklists:
I wrote a book on the powerful simplicity of reading aloud:
This ebook also includes a companion ebook filled with bonus printable materials to take your read alouds to the next level!
Keep kids busy while you read aloud and take those read-alouds to the next level:
I created a landing page filled with alllll of my favorite book resources. You can find it here:
I offer a free 5-day Coffee and Books email series. This simple homeschool tradition was unplanned and it’s oh-so-simple. Sometimes, the best ideas are the simplest ones!
Read more about Coffee and Books here:
Join Coffee and Books here:
Tips for making your read-alouds even better:
- Rock Your Read Alouds with This Simple Trick
- How to Boost Your Child’s Read-Aloud Confidence
- When Your Read Aloud Routine is in a Rut
- What to Do When Bedtime Reading is Giving You the Blues
- Fight Grumpiness with One-on-One Reading
I have a vibrant group of readers on Facebook!
Join the Virtual Family Book Club at My Little Poppies:
Now it’s your turn. Tell me: What is your family’s favorite way to keep kids busy and happy during your read-aloud time? Share here!
- How to Make Space for Mental Health in Your Homeschool - March 22, 2020
- Virtual Gameschooling: How to Play Games with Video Chat - March 20, 2020
- How to Make Your Own Worry Basket - March 19, 2020