This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure statement for more information.
I Want a Milkshake: When Dad Works a Lot [Episode 3]
In this episode of The Homeschool Sisters Podcast, Cait and Kara discuss what it is like when dad works or travels a lot.
It can be stressful to be the only adult on duty, 24/7. Bedtime becomes more challenging, washing machines break, and the last thing you want to think about is dinner.
Cait and Kara have been there, too, and they have some survival strategies to help you through it. From games to fantastic audiobooks to dinner picnics, we’ve got you covered!
Cait and Kara want to send a huge hug to all the single mamas out there who rock solo-parenting day in and day out. If you know a single mama, ask her kids over for a playdate so that she can get lost in a bookstore, savor a silent moment, and enjoy her coffee steaming hot!
listen to the summer 2017 updated introduction for this episode:
Listen to the full episode here:
Books from this episode:
- 10 Percent Happier by Dan Harris
- A.A. Milne’s Pooh Classics Boxed Set
- Anything by Shauna Niequiest: Savor; Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life; Bread and Wine: A Loveletter to Life Around the Table with Recipes; Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way
- Basic Math | The Great Courses
- Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
- Free at Last by Daniel Greenberg
- How Children Fail by John Holt
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber
- Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv
- Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry by Katrina Kenison
- My Cousin Rachel by Daphne DuMaurier
- My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
- No Drama Discipline by Daniel J. Siegel
- Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
- Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids by Kim John Payne
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
- The BFG by Roald Dahl
- The Fringe Hours: Making Time for You by Jessica N. Turner
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Secrets of Mental Math by Arthur Benjamin
- The Twits by Roald Dahl
- The Whole Brained Child by Daniel J. Siegel
- The Witches by Roald Dahl
Audiobooks mentioned in this podcast:
- Beatrix Potter: The Complete Tales
- James Herriot’s Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
- Little House on the Prairie
- The Roald Dahl Audio Collection
Games from this episode:
- Cardline Animals
- Beginner Dinner Games
- Prime Climb
- Professor Noggin Trivia Cards
- Scavenger Hunt
- Story Cubes
- Table Topics
Cooperative games mentioned in this episode:
- Harvest Time
- Hoot Hoot Owl
- Mermaid Island
- Race to the Treasure
- Richard Scarry’s Busytown: Eye Found It
Links and other resources from today’s show:
- Confessions of a Read Aloud Slacker ~ Shawna Wingert, Simple Homeschool
- Fairy House STEM ~ Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley, My Little Poppies
- Sparkle Stories
- The Homeschool Sisters Podcast Episode #1: We’re Out of Bread: Homeschool Overwhelm
- The Year of Nope ~ Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley, The Homeschool Sisters
Make sure you don’t miss an episode
Here are several ways that you can tune in to see what Cait and Kara are up to:
We would love if you could leave us a review on iTunes.
Do you have a question or topic you’d love to hear Cait and Kara talk about?
If so, send us a message or leave a comment. We love to hear from you!
Be sure to follow The Homeschool Sisters
You can hang out with Cait and Kara on Instagram.