I love to make Christmas ornaments with my children. We give these ornaments as gifts to family and friends, but we also save a few for ourselves. I’m always certain to write each child’s name and the date at the bottom, or on the back, and we cherish looking through these handmade gems every year.
Last year, Leo shared two of our holiday craft projects and both are easy DIY ornaments for kids. If you are looking for a holiday craft, this might be perfect for you!
This is Leo again. I’m going to tell you how to make Melty-Crayon and Glittery Globe Ornaments today. This week we had a craft-palooza and we made ornaments. I will tell you how to make them. There are two kinds that I will tell you about: Melty-Crayon Ornaments and Glittery Globe Ornaments.
HOW TO MAKE MELTY CRAYON ORNAMENTS:
These ornaments are very interesting to make, but be careful because they get really hot when you make them. It’s fun to watch colors combine!
Crayons (we used all the broken bits of crayons- it’s like recycling!)
Oven mitts and mittens
- Pick which color crayons you want to use. Ask your mom to use the knife to chop them up into small bits. The smaller the better because it will melt faster. Think about color combinations.
- Use a funnel to pour the crayon bits into the ornament.
- Have the kids put mittens on and have your mom put the oven mitts on.
- Turn on the hairdryer on high heat. Point it at the bulb where the crayons are inside. The crayons will melt.
- When the crayons melt, move the ornament gently so that the melty crayons can go all around the inside. You can choose to cover the entire inside of the bulb, or you can make swirls.
- Dump out the excess crayon- be careful! It’s hot.
- Put the cap back on and wait for it to dry and cool off.
- Enjoy! Merry Christmas!!
HOW TO MAKE GLITTERY GLOBE ORNAMENTS:
These are so cool! They look like disco balls!
Adhesive (we used Scotch Super, but there is a great product called Glitter It that we tried after that’s lots better)
Random gems and sequins and buttons
- Open an ornament.
- Take the Glitter It or Scotch Super and spray it inside the ornament.
- Pour some glitter inside and keep turning the ornament so the glitter covers the whole thing.
- Pour the excess glitter out of the ornament and put the top/cap back on.
- Wait for it to dry.
- You can be done or, if you want, you can then glue gems and sequins and maybe buttons or beads on the outside of the ornament.
- Enjoy! Merry Christmas!!
Happy Crafting! Thanks for reading!
- How to Make Space for Mental Health in Your Homeschool - March 22, 2020
- Virtual Gameschooling: How to Play Games with Video Chat - March 20, 2020
- How to Make Your Own Worry Basket - March 19, 2020