My children love to play with play dough. One of our favorite things to do is to make our own play dough. Over the holidays, Leo shared our recipe for Grinchy Dough. Play dough is a fun sensory experience for children. It allows them to work on fine motor skills while using their imagination and creativity. Today I’m going to tell you how to make your own DIY Calm Down Play Dough using lavender essential oil. Lavender has calming properties and this play dough is a great activity for the little worrier in your life. It would make the perfect addition to your Worry Basket!
2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
2 cups of water
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lavender essential oil (we used this one)
few drops food coloring to make the dough purple if you wish (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a pan except for the food coloring, glitter, and lavender essential oil.
2. Heat on low heat. Stir frequently.
3. When the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot and is no longer sticky, your dough is done. Turn of the heat and let cool.
4. When cool, smooth in food coloring, glitter, and several drops of lavender essential oil. If the dough is still sticky, add a bit of flour.
5. Knead the dough until the food coloring and glitter is evenly spread throughout.
6. Store in an air-tight bag or plastic container.
Want more ideas for calming those kids down? Check out my Mindfulness for Children Pinterest board:
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, Scary Mommy, GeekMom, and many others. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- Coffee and Books with Beautiful Feet Books: A Memorable Start to the Day! - May 14, 2019
- Homeschooling When Dad Works A Lot - April 22, 2019
- ‘What’s the Big Deal About First Ladies’ will Delight Your History Lover - April 15, 2019