My children love to play with play dough. One of our favorite things to do is to make our own play dough. Over the holidays, Leo shared our recipe for Grinchy Dough. Play dough is a fun sensory experience for children. It allows them to work on fine motor skills while using their imagination and creativity. Today I’m going to tell you how to make your own DIY Calm Down Play Dough using lavender essential oil. Lavender has calming properties and this play dough is a great activity for the little worrier in your life. It would make the perfect addition to your Worry Basket!
2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
2 cups of water
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lavender essential oil (we used this one)
few drops food coloring to make the dough purple if you wish (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a pan except for the food coloring, glitter, and lavender essential oil.
2. Heat on low heat. Stir frequently.
3. When the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot and is no longer sticky, your dough is done. Turn of the heat and let cool.
4. When cool, smooth in food coloring, glitter, and several drops of lavender essential oil. If the dough is still sticky, add a bit of flour.
5. Knead the dough until the food coloring and glitter is evenly spread throughout.
6. Store in an air-tight bag or plastic container.
Want more ideas for calming those kids down? Check out my Mindfulness for Children Pinterest board:
- How to Make Space for Mental Health in Your Homeschool - March 22, 2020
- Virtual Gameschooling: How to Play Games with Video Chat - March 20, 2020
- How to Make Your Own Worry Basket - March 19, 2020