On a recent episode of The Homeschool Sisters Podcast, Kara and I chatted about simple summer learning and easy ways to take a structured summer break.
Because, let’s face it- the reality is, some kids crave routine during the summer months. I know my kiddos benefit from a summer routine.
Simple Summer Learning Ideas: A Series of Super Simple, Fantastically Fun Ideas
Today, I’m sharing a list of some of our family’s favorite simple summer learning ideas. From books to games to unit studies to how to sneak in some homeschooling while on vacation. These are some of our favorite stealth summer learning resources!
First things first. Do you love the idea of simple summer learning, but don’t know where to begin?
I have two super-simple, free challenges that could help with summer learning:
Simple Summer Learning Ideas by Subject
Here are some of our favorite stealth summer learning resources by subject. I’ve also included some super-simple unit studies and tips for homeschooling on vacation.
Art & Music
- Get Ready for Summer with this Seashore Chalk Pastel Video Art Course
- Celebrate Summer Mixed Media Workshop
- The Best Art and Music Games for Your Homeschool
- Amazing Music Appreciation Books for Families
- The Best Art Books for Children
- Shark Week in Your Homeschool
History & Geography
- Around the World Stories: Stealth Learning at its Best
- History Unboxed: Hands-On History Fun
- Inspire Learning with Fantastic History Games
- A Literature-Rich Geography Curriculum for Book Lovers
- The Best Geography Games for Your Homeschool
- Learning is Fun with Pin It Maps!
- 20+ Fantastic Reading and Language Arts Games
- Oversized Children’s Books Make for Simple Summer Strewing!
- Books to Help Parents Grow Readers
- 100 Games and Picture Books for Play-Based Learning
- Writing is a Lifestyle with Brave Writer
Learning while on vacation
- How to Homeschool on Your Vacation
- Resources for Traveling with Intense Kids
- The Best Travel Games for Your Family
- Have Books, Will Travel: How to Homeschool on Vacation
- Simple Vacation Learning: Journals
- Learning with Postcards While On Vacation
- Simple Vacation Learning: Vicarious Vacation
- Summer Survival for Moms: Tips and Tricks
- 10 Waterproof Games for the Beach or Pool
- Lunchtime Learning: Games to Play While You Eat!
Mathematics & Logic
- My Kids Have Fallen Head Over Heels for Smartick Math ***Smartick is having a HUGE summer sale. Read more here —>
- If You Read Your Kids a Math Book…
- 10+ Math Picture Books Your Kids Will Love
- 10+ Amazing Math Games for Your Homeschool
- 5 + Nature Games for Your Homeschool
- Exploring Nature with Children & DIY Nature Explorer Packs!
- DIY Nature Explorer Pack
- 10 of the Best Nature Gifts for Kids
- Gardening Books and Resources for Your Little Nature Lover
- Simple Summer Learning with ‘100 Backyard Activities’
- 15+ Superb Books for Young Scientists
- 10+ Science Games for Your Homeschool
- Homeschool Science in the Early Years: 5 Ways to Keep it Fun!
A structured summer break for kids who crave routine
Some kids crave structure, even during the summer months. Do you want to read more about our summer days? Head over to Simple Homeschool and read about how we homeschool in the summer and still have plenty of time for popsicles and cannonballs and shooting stars:
Listen to The Homeschool Sisters chat about taking a structured summer break
Even if we homeschool year-round, we all need a little breather this summer! But how do we take a summer vacation that doesn’t turn into chaos and end with chasing a wet dog off the trampoline?
The sisters share their ideas, and what they’re doing this summer with their kids- outdoor projects, laid-back learning, and even a new idea for handling household chores.
And heads up sisters- this is the last episode of Season 2. Cait and Kara will be taking their own “structured break,” until early August- but don’t worry, they are working on lots of fun episodes for Season 3 and will be bringing you some updated episodes from the first two seasons this summer!
Sometimes, summer can be hard
The transition to summer can be a tricky one. Finding a rhythm that works for all members of your family is no small feat. As a homeschool mom who has been running full throttle all year long, you need a break. But is a break even possible? While you fantasize about ice cream sandwiches and leisurely summer reading on the front porch, your children might be craving more structure and routine.
So, how do you strike a balance? How can you achieve a memorable summer without feeling completely exhausted when September rolls around? Cait and Kara are struggling alongside you. In this episode, the sisters talk summer survival and trying to find the sweet spot when it comes to how much to do, and when to pack up your beach ball and just go home. From fireworks and parades to summer book clubs and pool-phobia, the sisters will help you feel better about doing summer your way.
Now, it’s your turn. Tell me: What are your favorite resources for simple summer learning? Share here!
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool and GeekMom. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, and Scary Mommy. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- Poolside Professional Development 2017 - June 22, 2017
- Simple Summer Learning with ‘100 Backyard Activities’ - June 19, 2017
- Simple Summer Learning Ideas: A Series - June 15, 2017