I think you know by now that I’m a bookworm.
Fantastic read alouds are the spine of our homeschool. We love to read wonderful books, have conversations about them, and then engage in extension activities based on the book. This style of learning works beautifully in our homeschool and it can be adapted for any subject.
All of this book based learning takes planning but the outcome is work all of that effort.
But, let’s face it: It’s great when you can find something pre-packaged that matches your family’s learning style. And that’s where Insight to Learning comes in.
Insight to Learning: Hands-On Homeschool Science Kits
*Disclosure: I received Insight to Learning at no cost and was compensated for my time to write a review. I was not required to write a positive review and, as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only share products and resources that I would use with my own family and those that I believe other families will enjoy.
We were excited to check out Insight to Learning’s Homeschool Subscription because each lesson is based on a high-quality read aloud. The extension activities relate to everything you’ve read together.
What this homeschool mom loves about Insight to Learning’s Homeschool Subscription
- The kits are organized with everything you need. Each kit contains at least five lessons. Each lesson contains all necessary materials packaged neatly in a ziplock bag. You can just pull out a lesson and get started- it’s that easy.
- Every lesson contains a book, and we love science books!
- Lessons are fun and age-appropriate in length. I would estimate that each lesson took us about 30-45 minutes to complete, but there is plenty of room to dive down rabbit holes and extend the learning…. and that’s exactly what we did!
We thoroughly enjoyed the books and activities in the kit we selected. The science books included are fantastic; we have read them countless times already.
What did the kids think?
We signed up for Insight to Learning’s Plants and Animals (kindergarten level) Homeschool Subscription… and they loved it!
The Plants and Animals kit was a wonderful introduction to the world of plants and animals. The children were asked to make observations about plants and animals, but also to communicate solutions about how we, as humans can reduce our impact on our air, land and water.
For this lesson, the kids read the book How a Seed Grows. They learned some new vocabulary words and then they got to plant sunflower seeds. They were able to observe the changes in these seeds throughout the unit.
My children adored the book Why Do Elephants Need the Sun! For the second less, the children learned about photosynthesis!
The third lesson helped children learn to differentiate between wants and needs. This is a message that all parents can appreciate!
The kids discussed habitats in lesson four.
Lesson five focused on being green, a message my little environmentalists appreciated. They even got to make their own monsters out of recycled materials!
Do you want to try Insight to Learning’s Homeschool Subscription in your homeschool?
If you want to try Insight to Learning in your homeschool, you have two options:
- Purchase individual kits– Each kit costs $125 and you can keep everything.
- Purchase a homeschool subscription– This option is $25 per month for 10 months. You will receive a full theme kit every 6-8 weeks. Every kit has at least 5 activities per box. When you are finished with the kit, you will return the non-consumable items to Insight to Learning using the enclosed pre-paid label.
Insight to Learning is offering 50% off the first month’s subscription price for all new customers. There is no expiration date for this discount. After you sign up, Insight to Learning will mail you a check for 50% off ($12.50) in the first shipment.
Does your family love science, too?
Be sure to check out these My Little Poppies science-related posts:
Do you have a favorite homeschool subscription kit? Share here.
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool and GeekMom. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, and Scary Mommy. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- Mad Libs The Game: Laughter Guaranteed! - July 20, 2017
- Artists Around the World: A New Series from Around the World Stories - July 17, 2017
- The Perfect Game for Kids Who Love the Solar System! - July 13, 2017