I’ve recently revised our gift-worthy games and created a brand-new post. You are welcome to read this post, of course, but if you want to read about all the games, head over to one of the following:
The holiday season is upon us, folks. It is time to find the perfect gifts for those important people in your life. In my world, the best gifts to give and to receive are games and books. Does that surprise anyone here? Today, I am going to share some of our favorite gift-worthy games for families, including tips for picking out the perfect game.
Board games make fantastic gifts
Games are wonderful gifts for so many reasons, including the following:
- Board games are fun
- Games are educational
- Playing games together builds relationships
- Games make memories
- Board games provide hours of entertainment!
If you think about it, a game costs less than taking your family to the movies and the best part is that you can play the same game for years and create many memories together.
Picking the perfect family game
Board games are great gifts for families, but in order to pick the right game you must think of the following:
- Recommended number of players – You do not want to purchase a two-player game for a family of five.
- Age recommendations – When selecting a game, be cognizant of the ages of the children and the recommendations made by the game manufacturers.
- Time to play – Families these days are busy, and some families are busier than others. Most games now have an average game length on the side of the box to help with your selection.
- Ease of use – Is this a game that the family can play right out of the box? Will it be easy for all members of the family to understand?
- Fun factor – You want the game to be fun for all ages!
- Challenge – If the game is too easy, the family won’t play it often. The same goes for super-complicated games.
- Longevity – You don’t want to pick a game that the family will outgrow quickly.
Five Days of Gift-Worthy Games!
Board games are a huge part of our family life and this week I’ll be sharing some of our family’s top picks for gift-worthy games! Be sure to check back here because I’ll be adding one new link each day!
Day Two – Apples to Apples: Laughter Guaranteed
Day Three – Blokus: A Minute to Learn, a Lifetime to Master
Day Four – Labyrinth: Fun for the Entire Family
Day Five – ThinkFun: Educational Games for Families
Enter to Win One of Our Favorites!
This week, in honor of my 5-Days of Gift-Worthy Games, I’m hosting a giveaway. Enter to win Laser Maze by ThinkFun! Please review giveaway guidelines here.
Do you love Gameschooling?
I rely heavily on educational games in our homeschool. Read more here:
Or, do you prefer to give a good book?
This 5-day series is a part of the iHomeschool Network Christmas Hopscotch. Please click the image below to continue on to more Christmas-related series posts.
Looking for some amazing Christmas ideas? Check out this fantastic link-up:
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool and GeekMom. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, and Scary Mommy. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- How to Find a Homeschool Rhythm - August 17, 2017
- Awesome Adulting is Easy with Julie Bogart and Brave Writer - August 14, 2017
- Hands-On Animal Study with Spielgaben - August 7, 2017