I am thrilled to share a new and extremely fun book for simple summer learning: 100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! by Colleen Kessler.
As a school psychologist and homeschool mom, I know how important it is for children to spend time outdoors learning in an active, hands-on manner.
But, let’s face it- finding the time to research and plan outdoor activities that are both fun and educational can be a challenge.
100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! is a fantastic new science book that does all of the work for you. I am certain this will be a go-to resource for homeschoolers and parents who value nature and experiential learning!
Simple Summer Learning with ‘100 Backyard Activities’
Summer learning is fun and simple with ‘100 Backyard Activities’
100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! is written by Colleen Kessler, an award-winning educator, author, speaker, homeschool mom to four gifted and 2e children, and founder of Raising Lifelong Learners.
(Colleen is also a dear friend of mine. Together, we founded Raising Poppies, an online community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children).
I love to pick Colleen’s brain when it comes to all things science. She is a whiz at coming up with fantastically engaging and unbelievably fun science activities. I’ve been anxiously awaiting the release of her latest book because I just knew my nature loving kiddos would fall head over heels… and they have!
‘100 Backyard Activities’ is a beautiful, hands-on book for your little scientist
Before I dive into its content, I just have to tell you that this book is absolutely gorgeous.
The colors, the photos, the layout… this is a book that you just want to pick up and hold in your hands. You can’t help but turn the pages and get sucked into a world of creativity, science, and fun.
100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! is jam-packed with experiments and nature activities that children can do with–or without–their parents.
In addition, the book includes fun facts and jokes that will have your children quizzing their grandparents. (“What is a frog’s favorite summertime treat? Hopsicles!”)
Summer learning has never been easier!
I love when I find a book that is easy to use, engaging, and educational. 100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! is one of those books, and it will teach your children how to find the answers to oodles of questions, including:
- Can a worm smell different foods?
- How much weight can a super-strong bess beetle carry?
- Are crickets happier alone or with a buddy?
- Would you touch a spider or–gasp!–keep one for a pet?
Science in your own backyard
100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! shows kids that they don’t need a museum or science text to have fun with science… all they need is their backyard! With this book, your children will become experts on insects, reptiles, birds, and plants by getting to know them up close and personal.
The best part? This book will have your children spending more time outdoors this spring and summer, and who doesn’t want that?
100 Backyard Activities That Are the Dirtiest, Coolest, Creepy-Crawliest Ever! covers all the scientific bases and every activity is designed for your backyard!
- Biology: Things That Creep, Crawl, Fly, and Grow
- Entomology: Beetles, Bugs and More
- Herpetology: Salamanders, Snakes, Lizards, Toads, Oh My!
- Ornithology: Birds, Birds, and More Birds
- Botany: Flowers, Mosses, Ferns, and Fun
- Backyard Ecology: How it All Comes Together
- Citizen Science at Home: What Can You Do?
Do your kids love science and nature?
- 15+ Superb Books for Young Scientists
- 5 + Nature Games for Your Homeschool
- Exploring Nature with Children & DIY Nature Explorer Packs!
- DIY Nature Explorer Pack
- 10 of the Best Nature Gifts for Kids
- 10+ Science Games for Your Homeschool
- Gardening Books and Resources for Your Little Nature Lover
Here are a few of our family’s favorite nature resources
Love the idea of simple summer learning, but don’t know where to begin?
I have two super-simple, free challenges that could help with summer learning:
More ideas for simple summer learning
Here are some related posts:
- Oversized Children’s Books Make for Simple Summer Strewing!
- Get Ready for Summer with this Seashore Chalk Pastel Video Art Course
- Simple Bee Study with Candle Making & Honey
- Simple Vacation Learning: Journals
- 5 Simple Spring Homeschool Projects
- Simple Vacation Learning: Vicarious Vacation
- Simple Pond Study
- Super Simple Map Activity for Children
- “Playful Pet Portraits” Will Delight Animal Lovers
- If You Read Your Kids a Math Book…
- Around the World Stories: Stealth Learning at its Best
- Poolside STEM
- Poolside Professional Development
- 10 Creative Ways to Keep Reading and Writing Skills Sharp this Summer
Cait co-hosts The Homeschool Sisters Podcast and is co-founder of Raising Poppies, a community for parents of gifted and twice-exceptional children. Cait is also founder of the Family Book Club at My Little Poppies, a fantastic community of book-loving parents and the Gameschool Community at My Little Poppies, a vibrant community of gameschoolers.
Cait is a contributing writer for Simple Homeschool and GeekMom. Her work has also appeared on The Huffington Post, The Mighty, and Scary Mommy. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram
Latest posts by Caitlin Fitzpatrick Curley (see all)
- 10 of the Best Math Gifts: Affordable and Fun - October 18, 2017
- Coffee and Books: Select Titles from Fall 2017, Organized by Subject - October 16, 2017
- 10 of the Best Language Arts Gifts: Affordable and Fun - October 16, 2017